[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Carer takes her fight to Westminster

Carer takes her fight to Westminster

Postby wendy » 29 Oct 2008, 15:37

Wendy Maxwell is fighting for better support for carers. Photo: Paul Hewitt 
KIM BRISCOE
29 October 2008 13:00

A Norwich carer has taken her fight to Westminster in an attempt to get a better deal for carers.

Wendy Maxwell, of Hellesdon, runs the Chill4Us carers' website and travelled to London to speak to the Conservative's shadow health minister Stephen O'Brien.

Mrs Maxwell took with her the stories and comments of members of the national website so the shadow minister could read about the real issues faced by carers every day.

Mrs Maxwell, who is a carer herself, has already met with the Labour and Liberal Democrat health ministers and politicians and says she is pleased to have now lobbied the three main parties about what help is needed for carers.

She said: “We're really pleased that we have been able to speak to all three now.

“We were impressed with Mr O'Brien's ideas and he kindly gave us over an hour of his time to listen to some of the stories about the circumstances carers face daily.

“Our members had also posted their stories and comments on the site and he was genuinely pleased to be given a copy of these and said he would take the time to read them.”

During the meeting, Mr O'Brien set out his plans on how the Tories would propose to help carers.

This includes making planned and emergency respite provision a priority and promoting flexible working options for carers.

They would also like to see carers assessed at the same time as the cared-for so their needs are also taken into consideration, for example with regard to fuel poverty.

Mrs Maxwell was accompanied by Moria Goodey of Norwich Mind, as well as a lobbyist from the Princess Royal Trust for Carers, representatives from Crossroads Caring for Carers and Trevor Ivory, the conservative candidate for North Norfolk.

She said: “I know carers who have to keep the heating on even throughout the summer because the people they care for are so ill and the cost of this for carers needs to be taken into account.”

Another change Mr O'Brien proposed was for the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) to consider the effects on carers when reviewing the cost-effectiveness of treatments or new drugs and whether these should be available for free on the NHS.

He also wants to ensure doctors spend time in care homes as part of their training and create an NHS board and health watch group to manager and monitor services.
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/ ... 3A40%3A840
Last edited by wendy on 29 Oct 2008, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Carer takes her fight to Westminster

Postby joyce » 29 Oct 2008, 16:28

Jolly good, wendy.
joyce

Postby wendy » 29 Oct 2008, 16:30

Kim did a fine job for us, I hope you think she did as well.
It will be in the paper tomorrow.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby douglas » 29 Oct 2008, 16:38

very very good wendy thank you
for the hard work you do because
no doubt it is. brilliant stuff
douglas

Postby annie » 29 Oct 2008, 16:56

well done Wendy, nicew to see it in print
annie

Postby graham » 29 Oct 2008, 17:50

Yes...All good stuff & thanks to Wendy & the others.....
graham

Postby sandy4 » 29 Oct 2008, 20:28

Sock it to them!
sandy4

Postby Honey » 29 Oct 2008, 21:22

Thank you Wendy, well done to you .
Honey

Postby maureenho » 29 Oct 2008, 23:13

Very well done Wendy and and those who went with you, quite an achievement having now seen all 3 Ministers.

Mo
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 30 Oct 2008, 17:54

Patricia rang and she said it is on the bill boards outside the shops.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby stroppy » 30 Oct 2008, 22:07

you done us proud Wendy .... i wish i could be like you and speak out more ... so from the bottom of my heart  very big thank you x
stroppy

Postby pixie » 30 Oct 2008, 22:10

Well done from me too Wendy. As you know I have put it on my forum as well so that as many people as possible can see it.

Thank you for all you do for carers Wendy. xx

pixie

Postby ians1 » 31 Oct 2008, 05:03

Thank you Wendy

I know it makes some people jealous, but take no notice, they have not achieved what you have.

ian

http://chill4uscarers.co.uk/campaigning-for-carers/
Last edited by ians1 on 25 Feb 2012, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
ians1

Postby wendy » 22 Jul 2013, 18:05

wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PaulT » 23 Sep 2015, 23:26

Well done, I've started a petition started if anyone wants to help?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
PaulT

Postby wendy » 24 Sep 2015, 07:13

Please put the petition on here or start a new topic (or I will do it for you)
Good luck.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PaulT » 24 Sep 2015, 09:11

Thank you, I'm struggling to copy & paste on my phone. I'll get it sorted asap. I've messaged it via e mail.

PaulT

Postby wendy » 24 Sep 2015, 09:31

if you give me your twitter name then I can find it?
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PaulT » 24 Sep 2015, 09:34

btp67 its pinned to my profile. Thank you so much.

PaulT

Postby wendy » 24 Sep 2015, 09:39

Hi Paul,
I have started a new topic for you and made it sticky
Good luck

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=52318
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PaulT » 24 Sep 2015, 09:49

Thank you very much Wendy xx

PaulT

Return to Raising awareness, Campaigning and Important contacts.