Meetings with Ivan Lewis and Norman Lamb and how they went

This is a Public board.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Meetings with Ivan Lewis and Norman Lamb and how they went

Postby wendy » 18 Mar 2008, 15:57

I heard today that I will be meeting with the Shadow Health Secretary for the Liberals,
Norman Lamb on May 2nd in Norfolk.
No further details have been arranged as yet, but I thought you would like to know.
Last edited by wendy on 12 Apr 2008, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Meetings with Ivan Lewis and Norman Lamb and how they went

Postby Doll » 18 Mar 2008, 18:16

Well done Wendy :D
Doll

Postby wendy » 01 Apr 2008, 10:23

3 of us will be going to meet Mr Lamb.
I am pleased I will not be on my own although I have met him before and he is very nice.
Wendy
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby graham » 01 Apr 2008, 11:16

Yes..Good luck with all this Wendy.....G
graham

Postby wendy » 01 Apr 2008, 12:28

Please remember it is not just me, we have a great deal to be thankful to the other members who will be asking him their questions.

The carers that are coming with me have a great deal of experience of these sort of meetings and some have to arrange respite services to be able to do this for us.
Last edited by wendy on 01 Apr 2008, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Meetings with Ivan Lewis and Norman Lamb and how they we

Postby wendy » 01 May 2008, 09:47

I know you are dying to know how the meeting went so I will try my best, but please anyone that was there please will you add your reports.
Thank you to everyone for trying so hard to improve things for carers.  

Firstly can I thank Mr Lewis and his staff for arranging the meeting.
We were told we would have half an hour and it went well over the hour.

Thank you to Rosie Sandall and the photographer for coming with us and reporting on the meeting.

We were taken to a room where we had tea in china cups and saucers and we got to know one another.  Then we were taken into Mr Lewis office where we sat around the big table.

I started out with my concerns for carers living in rural areas.  I explained about the isolation and lack of help, I explained we had tried to get computers for carers but it came to nothing.  I asked when will we be getting the free 24 hour helpline that is promised.
The answer is not until at least the middle of next year.

I then explained about one of our members whose husband died and she received a letter from the DWP within a fortnight of his death, saying we are sorry to hear about your change of circumstances but we need to see you to get back to work.

I then passed this over to Rosie because she had visited the lady the previous day.  Every one was appalled to hear about the way this lady, who is ill herself, has been treated.  The minister is going to look into the way the DWP deal with carers after a loss of a loved one and he is going to make changes.

Moira mentioned about the lack of places for respite in Norfolk for people with a mental health problem.  She spoke about carers still not getting carers assessments or carer support workers.
Moira spoke about  the ringing of services for carers has been stopped.  He had no answer for this.  (this means that councils can spend money which was meant for carers on other services).
Moria mentioned about the 10p tax and I said there was an EDM started, which Mr Lewis knew about.  He said the whole situation for carers was being looked at regarding carers having to work and pay tax.

Pam said that carers need more money and more money for services and respite.  She said she did not want to have to rely on charity for help.
Pam asked why can't respite care be paid for a family member to care in their own home, different from where the cared for usually lives.

Rachel spoke about SS buying out blocks of respite places so when someone tried to arrange respite individually, the places would all be taken.  Rachel had done a great deal of research into this from around the country, so she was well armed with statistics.

The New Carers Strategy will be coming out in the summer.- not in Carers week.  This will be for carers for the next 10 years.  We were invited to go to the launch.

We all thought it was a most successful meeting.

Everyone said much more than I have written, but this is all that  I can remember at the moment.  Help please, please.
Last edited by wendy on 26 Sep 2009, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 01 May 2008, 11:54

i have amended the above as I think of things.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby graham » 01 May 2008, 14:26

It has most interesting reading Wendy..Clearly you cannot bring every detail to these boards in such a short time...After what must have been a tiring day I would emplore you to take your time with this.....
graham

Postby wendy » 01 May 2008, 14:36

Point taken Graham, I think you will all enjoy reading what Rosie has to say in the Yours magazine.
I have added some more thoughts and highlighted them in red, but I think this is as far as I can go.
I can assure you that a  great deal more topics were discussed.
thanks
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Honey » 01 May 2008, 22:43

Well done and a big thank you Wendy and everyone else.
You must all be exhausted.
I look forward to reading the article.
love honeyx
Honey

Postby maureenho » 01 May 2008, 22:58

Well done Wendy and everyone else, and thank you for your valuable time to raise awareness for better services on behalf of carers.

Mo

maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pam R » 01 May 2008, 23:46

Just posting to say a little about the meeting with Ivan Lewis.

Wendy has already told you most of it and I'd like to thank Wendy again for arranging it.

We all had a chat when we met up and that was nice. After being served refreshments, we met Mr Lewis and his assisstant in his office,

Rachel and I thought that he had an understanding of the main causes of concern for carers, respite being one of the main ones and it was also my main topic that I presented to him. He seemed a little surprised at some of the things we told him that were happening, or not happening and he asked us lots of questions about our concerns, and seemed to be genuinely interested in our opinions and our knowledge. He asked for my and Rachel's contact details so that he can ask our opinions on some things.

It is late now so will leave it here. Let's hope we have made a little difference.

Pam
Pam R

Postby wendy » 02 May 2008, 16:08

We went to see Mr Lamb today.
He was very friendly and listened carefully.

We mentioned about direct payments being expensive at weekends and bank holidays and he said if there is a problem for carers with this, then the initial payment is not enough and needs to be reviewed.

The three main points we raised with Ivan Lewis, Mr Lamb dictated a letter to him whilst we were there and a copy is to be sent to the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

1.  I brought up my concerns for carers living in rural areas and the fact that the free phone help line will not be in place until mid 2009.

2.  I told him about the carer whose husband had died and she received a letter within 10 days of his death from the DWP about getting her back to work because of her change in circumstances.

3.  Moira asked about the 10p tax when carers work and continue their caring role to supplement their income.  We asked about the EDM.

Mr Lamb showed great concern for carers and understanding.
Last edited by wendy on 02 May 2008, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 10:20

I did not make it clear but Mr Lamb is writing to Ivan Lewis about those 3 points to ask what he is going to do about each point that was raised.

I have spoken with Evelyn, and she saw the doctor yesterday.  He told her there was no way she would ever work again and all this stress about going back to work is not good for her and could bring about a further heart attack.

Mr Lamb was disgusted by the way that carers are treated after a bereavement and agreed that there should be some sort of time lapse allowed. 

A copy of the letter was also being sent to Alistair Darling.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 13:43

this is where we met the minister
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 13:44

I will leave it to the members to put names to faces if they wish.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 13:45

Both these photos were taken in the room before we went to meet with the minister.

wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 13:48

The official photos will be shown in Yours.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby joyce » 03 May 2008, 13:57

Well done all of you I knew we could count on you .Joyceeeeeeeeeee
joyce

Postby HotSheila » 03 May 2008, 13:58

Wendy, it was great to hear how you got on - and I shall look forward to reading the article in YOURS as well.  I'm sure that you must be trying to relax a bit now - as its no easy task fighting everybody's corner - which you do so brilliantly.  HUGS - Sheila x
HotSheila

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 14:05

thank you, we did it for all carers everywhere.
I am sorry my picture is not on here but I really looked ill.
You will have the delight when the Yours magazine comes out, but I look like an old bag.
Wendy
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 03 May 2008, 14:38

thankyou wendy for the pictures, I'll look forward to my next issue of YOURS. You've all done a sterling job on our behalf. I hope you can relax for a few days now
Love annie
annie

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 15:27

Rosie did not say and I will be away this Wednesday when the magazine comes out.
I will know on Wednesday evening but you may know before.
I think they would have a rush to get it in by this week.
There may be a lady who I told Rosie about who lives in Norfolk.  I know that Rosie went to see her.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 16:07

I am going to start putting on the paper work that we took with us to both ministers.
It will take me awhile.

This one is your own words.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 May 2008, 16:17

This is what Pam gave to him.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Carers Window to the outside world