[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Dementia care in Japan and the UK

Dementia care in Japan and the UK

Dementia care in Japan and the UK

Postby wendy » 24 Mar 2012, 09:51

I will write up about the event over the weekend
Last edited by wendy on 13 Jun 2012, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dementia care in Japan and the UK

Postby wendy » 24 Mar 2012, 10:06

Dear all,

I very much hope you enjoyed the workshop today as much as I did. I would like to say a very big thank you for coming and contributing so positively to make the workshop such a success. My special thanks go to our speakers for their most stimulating talks. I think the event shows that the question of care for older people is a genuinely global one. I also think our discussions show that there is a great deal of scope to address this question using comparative perspectives. I hope we can continue to maintain the links we have already made.
Finally I am sending some photos of today’s workshop in a separate email.
Once again, thank you all so much.

With very best wishes,
Mayumi
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 25 Mar 2012, 16:26

The event that I went to on Friday at our local University.  It was by invitation only, so I was lucky to be there.
It was comparing the care of older people in Japan and Britain.

Apparently people live longer in Japan, and they believe it is to do with their diet, because they fast.  There are more older people in Japan.

Although Japan is a rich country, care is behind what we have in Britain.  They showed a picture of a care home with four beds in one room, all of which were on the floor.
One person commented, that here, not many people would be able to get down to the floor.

Before we had the NHS the only option for care was the work house, and the fear of this went on for many years.
Today the empathise will be on keeping people fit in their own homes and people will be given more choices and more independence.
Norfolk care charter is in process.
Aging well over 50

Now when people reach 50 they may live for 3 generations.  Instead of calling people old age pensioners, there will ne the third age, for people over 50 and then the fourth age when someone requires help.

The people in these ages, should be seen as valuable to our society and not seen to be taking from our services.
Harold Bodmer, the Head of Social Services in Norfolk said if carers turn up late then it is not acceptable and this must be reported.
NHS and Social Care need to be integrated.
There are 7,5000 people in Norfolk with personal budgets.

Jeanne from the Norfolk Carers Forum said there are changing roles and behaviour which may not have been seen before when you start to care for someone.
There is a gap in services after someone dies, which needs addressing.
Across Norfolk,there has been a pilot scheme in libraries so carers can call in for advice, and this has proved most useful.

I actually stood up after this talk, and said that we have found out how much the internet means to carers and how we try to get more carers on line.

Norman Lamb MP

There has to be a good quality of life for people  The empathise is going to change to keeping people well.  There will be better prevention services to encourage a shift in behaviour.
G.P.'s will want to prevent falls and illness because in the long run, this will be saving them money.
He also said there needs to be Integration of Care with NHS and social care.

There is a trial in Torbay and this has proved to work, because there has been 83 fewer people going into hospital.  This trial is to be spread across the country.
There will be more places where people will be able to go to keep healthy.

I expect there will be a report in the paper tomorrow, which will explain everything better than I have.
Last edited by wendy on 25 Mar 2012, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 25 Mar 2012, 16:34

That is very interesting Wendy, so glad you were able to attend and give us a first hand report of it, will look out for the article in tomorrows paper.

go90
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Misspears » 25 Mar 2012, 18:23

than999  that was interesting
Misspears

Postby daisy » 25 Mar 2012, 19:03

than999 go90
daisy

Postby Jeanne » 13 Jun 2012, 14:22

Thank you Wendy, for the very interesting information. x Jeanne
Jeanne

Postby wendy » 23 Mar 2013, 19:44

You may remember some time I went to a seminar at our local University about care in Japan.
I have kept up with my interest over the months.
Well from this, I have an appointment to meet with some film crew who have come over especially from Japan.
Later on I will be asking if you would like to take part in the film.
My meeting is with the director and a coordinator.
Please think of me.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Honey » 24 Mar 2013, 02:20

than999 Wendy.
This is so kind and thoughtful of you to do this .
x
Honey

Postby Myrna » 24 Mar 2013, 11:02

Thankyou Wendy for doing this,let us know the date that you are doing it
so we can think of you.

Myrna xx
Myrna

Postby wendy » 24 Mar 2013, 15:14

Dear Wendy,
Thank you so much for your really positive reply and agreeing to meet the TV crew.
I will let them know what they want to hear from you and I wonder if I can pass your email address to them so that they can write directly to you if you do not mind? Of course, I can be a go-between.
I also really look forward to seeing you again.
With best wishes,
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 29 Mar 2013, 17:43

Liz and Barry are coming with me to the first interview on Wednesday in Norwich.
The film crew is from Japan.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jeanne » 29 Mar 2013, 18:10

This is all very interesting and encouraging Wendy. x Jeanne
Jeanne

Postby Myrna » 01 Apr 2013, 17:09

than999    fascinating and very interesting.
Myrna

Postby wendy » 03 Apr 2013, 15:11

This went very well with presents for Barry and myself for helping them.
We have agreed to make a film with them, because they think it is wonderful what we do.
They explained to me, that the difference is a culture thing, Japan acknowledges what we do on chill because we are all volunteers and do it ourselves.

I said that because we set up the forum in 2005 and before then from 2002, we have empowered carers and giving all carers and past carers a sense of self worth and at the same time providing friendship and support.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 03 Apr 2013, 15:34

Sounds like they are very interested in what we do.

45' 45'
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ingridcarley » 06 Dec 2018, 13:50

Orchard House Residential Care Home in Hasting is Elderly care home for loved one in including dementia patients care with a warm, safe and friendly atmosphere for residents to live in.
ingridcarley

Return to Raising awareness, Campaigning and Important contacts.