Norwich's Secret Museum ...

This is a Public Board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Norwich's Secret Museum ...

Postby chenrezig » 25 Mar 2016, 18:36

I got one of my getroundtoits done yesterday and I have been busy sorting out some of the pics I took.

In Norwich there is one of the best secret museums I know of... It is located in what used to be, originally, a Victorian skating rink, later a builders merchants, and now a museum cum warehouse cum sales showroom full of Eastern Art from the India and Pakistan area, next to what used to be Norwich City Fire Staition (now one of the every-growing number of academy schools).

The building itself is worth a visit as it has the most amazing timber roof ...see pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chenrezig

Re: Norwich's Secret Museum ...

Postby chenrezig » 25 Mar 2016, 18:44

It has stone and metal sculptures, textiles of all sorts, and even 18thC and oldertwooden balconies ...

The metal sculpture playing a sitar is the godess of learning "Saraswati",
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chenrezig

Postby chenrezig » 25 Mar 2016, 18:52

I was really inspired by the textiles, and I ended up buying three small napkins to try some of the techniques I saw there as mini-hangings for my flat.

The items below are very simply done, but with great effect, shapes and animals etc are "drawn" in thread, then filled in using a very small running stitch in different colours
chenrezig

Postby chenrezig » 25 Mar 2016, 18:58

Here is a wall hanging, and a part of a costume for a horse ...
chenrezig

Postby chenrezig » 25 Mar 2016, 19:01

This is the website for the museum "The South Asian Decorative Arts & Crafts Collection with loads mre pics and info on the styles etc, ...http://www.southasiandecorativeartsandcrafts.co.uk/
chenrezig

Postby annie » 25 Mar 2016, 19:48

Thankyou LIz, looks like you had an interesting visit
annie

Return to TV, Pets, Books,Films,Radio,Knitting and Hobbies