cross removed formCrematorium chapel in case it "offends"

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

cross removed formCrematorium chapel in case it "offends"

Postby annie » 30 Sep 2015, 08:29

What do you think?

A CHRISTIAN cross has been removed from a crematorium chapel so as not to offend secular groups.

The large wooden cross at Accrington crematorium will now only be put up for individual services on request.

The decision, the first by an East Lancashire local authority, has ‘shocked’ Hyndburn Tory group leader Peter Britcliffe and alarmed Anglican Bishop of Burnley Philip North.

Coun Britcliffe said: “This is another example of the creeping madness of political correctness undermining the traditional Christian values of our society in East Lancashire.

“The correct default position is for the cross to be in the chapel unless those organising a funeral ask for it to be taken down.”

Since 1956, the religious symbol has been a permanent fixture, only taken down if service organisers asked for it.

Following a £20,000 upgrade earlier this year, Hyndburn Council decided the cross should be removed and only restored at the request of a family wanting a Christian farewell for their loved one.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... believers/
annie

Re: cross removed formCrematorium chapel in case it "offends

Postby maureenho » 30 Sep 2015, 17:06

I think it's disgusting to remove it, I'm not religious but I'm not in any way offended by it, I respect other peoples beliefs.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 01 Oct 2015, 07:05

this is our country, they have come to it, and we would not ask them to remove something in their country.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 01 Oct 2015, 08:19

The council have now back-tracked, as there were too many negative comments on social media, it is going back up & will only be taken down for funerals where the family request it to be removed.
annie

Return to Daily discussion forum