[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Ask Auntie Liz ........................................

Ask Auntie Liz ........................................

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Ask Auntie Liz ........................................

Postby Honey » 03 Jun 2013, 23:23

Liz, I am sorry for overloading you with questions, it is so good of you to do this for all of us and i thank you so very much.
Do you know what 'piggy backing' is ?
And how to deal with it?
My daughter says its when some body steals your wi fi connection.
As you know I am having terrible problems with my land line and broadband suddenly.
x
Honey

Postby chenrezig » 04 Jun 2013, 06:11

Piggybacking on Internet access is the practice of establishing a wireless Internet connection by using another subscriber's wireless Internet access service without the subscriber's explicit permission or knowledge.

The owner of any wireless connection has the ability to block access from outsiders by engaging wireless LAN security measures. Not all owners do so, and some security measures are more effective than others. As with physical security, choice is a matter of trade-offs involving the value of what is being protected, the probability of its being taken, and the cost of protection.

Advice from Money Supermarket … I have put the link to the full article below.

What you can do to secure your wireless connection
Here is a step by step guide to help you secure your router and PC during set-up:

Change the factory passwords – When you first set up your router, you must change the administrator password from the default password that is set by the manufacturer. Try and pick something that isn’t obvious – preferably try and combine letters, number and symbols.
Different names – Ensure that the name you use for the router is not the same as your own name or any of those on the PC. Avoid names that can be easily guessed, such as children’s names, favourite football teams, etc. Also make sure that your router name is different from your password.
Turn off desktop connections – If you don’t use them, switch them off!

Do not store personal information – Keep any personal information such as bank account numbers, credit card details, etc, off your PC. That way if a hacker were to access your machine, the information they can use is limited.

Now here are some steps you can take to secure your wireless router:
Change usernames/passwords – As above, change all manufacturer settings as soon as you turn the router on and don’t make your selections obvious.

Close all ports on your router – turn off all ping responses if possible.
Create a wireless DMZ – DMZ stand for de-militarised zone and basically places a firewall between the local area network and the wireless network. This will provide an extra layer of protection as long as you keep it active.
Ensure your router has a WEP key – WEP stands for wired equivalent privacy and was the original encryption standard for wireless. WEP comes in different sizes – usually ranging from 128- to 256bit - the longer the better to keep out hackers. Change the WEP key frequently and ensure it is set to ‘shared key’ rather than ‘open system’.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadba ... -security/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybacki ... _access%29

This might be a bit technical...it is for me lol I know how to put the password (usually found on the back of the router) in, but no idea how to change it as it is pre-set by Virgin

Hope this helps Honey ?
chenrezig

Postby Jeanne » 04 Jun 2013, 08:57

Thankyou very much for the info about elephants, it is very interesting. x Jeanne
Jeanne

Postby Honey » 04 Jun 2013, 10:25

than999 Liz.
Much appreciated.
honey
Honey

Postby wendy » 04 Jun 2013, 10:41

than999 than999 than999

wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sandy4 » 04 Jun 2013, 16:27

Please don’t feel that you have to answer immediately, take your time, fit in it as you can!

But someone at the Com Centre today used the phrase” A load of Codswallop”  that make me think where does this come from? 
sandy4

Postby Misspears » 04 Jun 2013, 18:03

than999
Misspears

Postby chenrezig » 04 Jun 2013, 18:28

S'okay Sandy, as long as members only ask a new question once one has been answered it is manageable ... and here is your answer, sort of there does not seem to be a definitive answer but this seems as likely as any ...

A load of codswallop

Meaning
Nonsense.

Origin
The origin of the term 'codswallop' is unclear. The most widely quoted story is that of Hiram Codd, an English soft drinks maker during the 1870s, who developed a technique for bottling lemonade. This process involved the insertion of a glass marble as a stopper into the neck of the bottle. When the bottle was shaken the resulting pressure from the fizzy pop forced the marble against the neck to form a seal. The device was called, not unreasonably, the Codd Bottle.

'Wallop' is a slang term for beer, and beer drinkers would certainly be disdainful of bottled soft drinks. This slang term dates from the early to mid 20th century. Eric Partridge, in A Dictionary of Slang, claims it as serviceman's slang and dates it from the 1930s. An early example of it in print comes in J[ohn] B[oynton] Priestley's Three men in new suits, 1945:
"It's drink... Booze or wollop... Nine times out of ten... you wake up in the morning... with the usual hangover."

It's not difficult to see how a soft drink in a Codd Bottle could have come to be called codswallop, but there's no actual evidence for that derivation. In fact, such neat plausibility without evidence is often the mark of the linguistic mythology known as folk etymology. Look no further than these popular fallacies for confirmation.

The earliest known citation of the phrase in print is in the script of a 1959 episode of the UK television series 'Hancock's Half Hour'. The writers Galton and Simpson don't claim to have coined the phrase, which they say was in public circulation when the show was broadcast.

'A load of codswallop' sounds old and the Hiram Codd story has a certain appeal. The problem with the tale, apart from the lack of any supporting evidence, is the entirely implausible notion that the phrase was in popular circulation since 1870 but somehow didn't manage to get into print until 1959. That lack of printed record is despite the fact that an appeal for early citations made on national television in the UK in 2006 failed to uncover any earlier than 1959. Also, if Mr. Codd's drink were the derivation, we would expect to find early examples of the name in the form Codd's Wallop, but there aren't any such examples. That, along with the fact that the term 'wallop' itself wasn't associated with its 'drink/beer' meaning until well after Codd's death, makes the 'Codd's Wallop' derivation highly improbable.

The most likely explanation is that it is a made-up nonsense word that just sounds right for its meaning.

'Cod' is a little-used slang word meaning 'to hoax or take a rise out of', known since at least 1873. It was used in much the same way we now use the verb 'to kid', as here in a quotation from 1884:
"Tha'st only coddin me as tha allus does; tha'l none tay me to see th' fair."
That could be the origin of the cod in 'codswallop', but this is just plausible speculation, which brings us back full circle.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/codswallop.html
chenrezig

Postby sandy4 » 05 Jun 2013, 00:30

Thank you Liz, I was wondering about "Codding you""!
sandy4

Postby chenrezig » 05 Jun 2013, 05:47

Not sure how true this is, but all I could find ...

Country Irish slang describing the act of fooling someone, often yourself.
You couldn't drink fifteen pints, don't be codding yourself

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=codding

apparently also gaming slang for playing the game "Call of Duty"
chenrezig

Postby Honey » 10 Jun 2013, 23:20

Liz, do you remember when ironing boards had an asbestos rest pad on them to put the iron down on?
I was wondering if there is any health risk to people in later life from our parents/us using them ?
Sometimes they got burnt and damaged, would the fibres have passed on to clothes we wore ?
honeyx
Honey

Postby chenrezig » 11 Jun 2013, 05:54

Honey I must admit I have no idea on this one, though I do have very vague memories of either nan or Mum having an old board like that.

You could try contacting your council's Environmental Health Department for advice? Not sure whereabouts in the country you are, but try contacting the council you pay your council tax to.

Also you could check the Health and Safety Executive website, you could contact the nearest office to you for advice ? http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/maps/eastsoutheast.htm
chenrezig

Postby wendy » 11 Jun 2013, 07:29

my ironing board had one of those until recently.
I am sure there was more harm done by asbestos in walls and roofs.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Honey » 11 Jun 2013, 11:26

than999 Liz.
Thank you for the links.
honeyx
Honey

Postby chenrezig » 04 Jul 2013, 19:34

Not had many questions to answer lately ... anyone got any unanswered questions or things they have puzzled over ?
chenrezig

Postby sandy4 » 04 Jul 2013, 23:20

Sounds like you have the odd idle moment or two.  How about looking up the origin of nursery rhymes?  I have heard the odd explanation but years ago. 
sandy4

Postby chenrezig » 05 Jul 2013, 05:20

Here we go Sandy …

I have checked out a number of sites and it seems Wiki has the only definition of what “Nursery Rhyme” means.

“The term nursery rhyme is used for "traditional" poems and songs for young children in Britain and many other countries, but usage only dates from the 19th century and in North America the term "Mother Goose Rhymes", introduced in the mid-1700s, is still often used.”

Early nursery rhymes

From the later Middle Ages there are records of short children's rhyming songs, often as marginalia. From the mid-16th century they begin to be recorded in English plays. Most nursery rhymes were not written down until the 18th century, when the publishing of children's books began to move from polemic and education towards entertainment, but there is evidence for many rhymes existing before this, including "To market, to market" and "Cock a doodle doo", which date from at least the late 16th century. The first English collections, Tommy Thumb's Song Book and a sequel, Tommy Thumb's Pretty Song Book, are both thought to have been published before 1744, with such songs becoming known as 'Tommy Thumb's songs'. The publication of John Newbery's compilation of English rhymes, Mother Goose's Melody, or, Sonnets for the Cradle (London, c.1765), is the first record we have of many classic rhymes, still in use today. These rhymes seem to have come from a variety of sources, including traditional riddles, proverbs, ballads, lines of Mummers' plays, drinking songs, historical events, and, it has been suggested, ancient pagan rituals. About half of the currently recognised "traditional" English rhymes were known by the mid-18th century.

(Lullabies origins - the oldest children's songs of which we have records are lullabies, intended to help a child sleep. Lullabies can be found in every human culture. The English term lullaby is thought to come from "lu, lu" or "la la" sound made by mothers or nurses to calm children, and "by by" or "bye bye", either another lulling sound, or a term for good night.[3] Until the modern era lullabies were usually only recorded incidentally in written sources. The Roman nurses' lullaby, "Lalla, Lalla, Lalla, aut dormi, aut lacta", is recorded in a scholium on Persius and may be the oldest to survive.)

Meanings of nursery rhymes - did try copying the table but it wouldn't do it so click on the link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursery_rh ... ery_rhymes

This shows the name of the rhyme, traditional origin, date, and any historical origin. If you click on the names of the nursery rhymes on this link it will take you to the lyrics. How many have you heard or recall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nu ... in_English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursery_rhyme
chenrezig

Postby JaneJ » 05 Jul 2013, 09:18

than999

Thank you Aunty Liz,

I just realised I hadn't used my manners as you had answered my question.

33900 as an appology for my rudeness xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
JaneJ

Postby chenrezig » 05 Jul 2013, 16:29

Awwwh thank you Jane, they smell lovely, I shall be sure to put them in a nice vase n somewhere cool so they last longer in n this hot weather !
chenrezig

Postby Misspears » 05 Jul 2013, 19:11

than999
Misspears

Postby sandy4 » 05 Jul 2013, 23:29

Thanks Liz, any I had heard I had forgotten like "Old King Cole and Duke of York antho' now they seem to be 'Debunked' 
sandy4

Postby Honey » 06 Jul 2013, 00:49

Liz, I have been searching for a cushion/pillow with a picture of a beluga whale for my daughter . Cant find anything anywhere.
Tried to find on line somebody who will print a picture on fabric but not having any luck.
any suggestions please?
Thanks in anticipation.
honeyx
Honey

Postby chenrezig » 06 Jul 2013, 06:22

I have had a look, but any sites that I can find are US based – the prices aren’t cheap, and there would be postage on top of that. I was thinking that maybe you could get something printed up somewhere like Happy Snaps but they are very “hot” on the person getting it printed having copyright.

Then I had another think… if you have a picture you like; you can get special paper for your printer where you can print a picture on it then iron it onto the item you want it on.

I haven’t done this myself but maybe some Chillers out there have used it?

I did find this website –

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.- ... _00001.htm

- if you scroll down there are instructions on how to use it.

I think places like W H Smiths sell it, I did come across Tesco’s website and the paper seems to have mixed reviews?  If I was trying it out I would print a small pic so I don’t use too much ink n have a few practices on a bit of material n have a practice wash or two first. Only then if you are happy do it for real. Another thought is that could you do like an applique whale, have a plain cushion cover, then get some white material to make a whale n sew a face on?

I would imagine anywhere that sells pc stuff would have it too? I had a look at Argos website and they do not seem to stock any, likewise PC World.

Hope this answers your question Honey?

Liz x
chenrezig

Postby Honey » 06 Jul 2013, 15:43

than999 33900 Liz. I appreciate this information very much. Some great ideas there. I will indeed try them.
Thank you so much.
honeyx 
Honey

Postby mumxtwo » 10 Jul 2013, 07:19

Dear Auntie Liz,

With this hot weather my bananas are ripening too quickly. Is there a way to slow this down? I have heard that bananas shouldn't be kept in the fridge?

gpr gpr xx
mumxtwo

PreviousNext

Return to Daily discussion forum