Sunday closing

This is a Public Board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Sunday closing

Postby wendy » 11 Dec 2015, 17:24

Now when I visit a local town it really seems to me to be old fashioned when so many shops remain closed.
I know it is tradition and it is about keeping the family together and rest on the Sabboth Day.
But it does seem old fashioned now to me.
Do you think there will come a time when the family shops will remain open 7 days a week?
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sunday closing

Postby chenrezig » 11 Dec 2015, 17:54

They voted just this week to allow Sunday opening in Guernsey for the first time. It came down to a difference of just one vote

http://guernseypress.com/news/2015/12/1 ... egulation/

Attempts to overturn the States’ previous decision to allow total deregulation and support a partial system instead, were defeated in the States by just one vote on Tuesday. And, as the news sank in yesterday, some local small independent shops who do not want to open on Sundays were concerned they would lose out if not.
Among them was owner of Mill Street shop Cockadoodle, Melanie Jefferies, who said Sunday was the only day she got to see her family. Now she might have to work on that day too. ‘I have to see my family sometime – when do people perceive we can do this?’ she said. ‘At the moment it’s just Sunday.’ Forest Stores butchery manager Jason Hamon, who is also a pig farmer, said Sunday was a day he spent with his family,
chenrezig

Postby maureenho » 11 Dec 2015, 17:56

I still like to see old traditions still going today, the world has changed far to much and not for the better.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rosalind » 11 Dec 2015, 18:46

I think we should still have Sunday closing, so everyone gets a day off together.
Rosalind

Return to On this Day, Poems, Games and Chat