Burns night 25th January

This is a Public Board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Burns night 25th January

Postby maureenho » 25 Jan 2014, 11:48

Burns Night

The Burns Supper is an institution of Scottish life: a night to celebrate the life and works of the national Bard. Suppers can range from an informal gathering of friends to a huge, formal dinner full of pomp and circumstance. This running order covers all the key elements you need to plan and structure a Burns Supper that suits your intentions.

Piping in the guests

A big-time Burns Night calls for a piper to welcome guests. If you don't want all that baggage, some traditional music will do nicely. For more formal events, the audience should stand to welcome arriving guests: the piper plays until the high table is ready to be seated, at which point a round of applause is due. At a more egalitarian gathering - with no high table - the chair can simply bang on the table to draw attention to the start of the evening's proceedings.
    Chairman's welcome

The Chair (host/organiser) warmly welcomes and introduces the assembled guests and the evening's entertainment.
    The Selkirk Grace

A short but important prayer read to usher in the meal, The Selkirk Grace is also known as "Burns's Grace at Kirkcudbright". Although the text is often printed in English, it is usually recited in Scots.

Some hae meat and canna eat,
    And some wad eat that want it,
    But we hae meat and we can eat,
    And sae the Lord be thankit.

Piping in the haggis

Guests should normally stand to welcome the dinner's star attraction, which should be delivered on a silver platter by a procession comprising the chef, the piper and the person who will address the Haggis. A whisky-bearer should also arrive to ensure the toasts are well lubricated.

During the procession, guests clap in time to the music until the Haggis reaches its destination at the table. The music stops and everyone is seated in anticipation of the address To a Haggis.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/robertburns/b ... rder.shtml
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Burns night 25th January

Postby annie » 25 Jan 2014, 12:26

Oh dear, I missed it this year, I usually buy a haggis and share it with my daughter (Bill & the rest of the family can't stand it!) We have it the traditional way with tatties and neeps, except we omit the whiskey for afters as neither of us like it.
annie

Re: Burns night 25th January

Postby maureenho » 25 Jan 2014, 12:31

I don't like Haggis at all, I once cooked one, never again,  but I wouldn't mind the Whiskey  che78nm  sp0
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to On this Day, Poems, Games and Chat